
When Donatello sculptured "The Penitent Magdalene" in 1454-1455, he appeared to have created an extreme, scraggly, simple but emotional, provocative yet expressive, mystical decaying controversial wretch. Yet, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the work itself is masterful, compelling, influential.....powerful.
In a world deeply affected by religious standards of its time, the Mary Magdalene of the Bible was represented as a repentant prostitute. This idea, no doubt, is where Donatello borrowed his title for his piece. It is also where he might have received the inspiration to create the pitiful and downward vacant stare that becomes her fragile face and perpetuated body. If this was a modern piece, it would be what we think of as a homeless victim or a rural tragedy.
Yet, I see a strong woman. Aware of the timeline, it symbolizes a woman full of spiritual wisdom, downtrodden put pious because she expressed repentance, an act strongly advocated by the Christian faith as redemption in order to be able to go to heaven. This, alone is an ageless religious and social commentary, enough for some to accept her as an apocryphal inspiration.

Take the self portraits of Frida Kahlo such as "The Broken Column" 1944 and try to visualize them as works of beauty. They, too, can leave the viewer awe struck. She once stated that she paints self portraits because "I am the person I know best." From first glance, they evoke stern emotions because they are brutal and not our standard of beauty. They ooze pain much like the penitent Magdalena. Yet, there are logical reasons why Frida chose to cloak herself as a tortured soul, a strong and independent person with an inner beauty.

Another painting, "Big Sue" 1994 is painted by a modern artist, Lucien Freud. What I found disturbing but interesting about the piece is that it recently sold for $36 million. I think that the monetary value made it more appealing and interesting, a piece worthy of discussion....worthy of a second look. Had I seen it in an exhibit, I would have passed it up because there is nothing flattering about it. Yet, I have empathy for the model and the painter who chose to put it to canvas. I can find a positive relief that it symbolizes a realistic portrait of something that is often not seen as beautiful...anxious curves! The subject of an "obese" nude without the flattering curves often does not encourage the imagination to look beyond...only what is obvious. I can find hope in this pieces much like the Magdalene because redemption is left for interpretation by the viewer.
Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder whether the subject is suffering, saintly or sassy.
No comments:
Post a Comment